M. Patricia Gallivan, Q.C. *
Patricia Gallivan (Pat) is Associate Counsel with Pulver Crawford Munroe LLP. Pat provides high-level strategic advice to the firm’s clients in all areas of labour and employment law. Her practice includes collective bargaining and advocacy on behalf of employers at labour arbitrations, provincial and federal labour relations boards, human rights tribunals, and all levels of court.
Before entering private practice, Pat spent two years as Legal Assistant to the Chair of the British Columbia Labour Relations Board. Her legal career includes practicing as senior counsel at a major downtown Vancouver law firm, and she was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2000.
Pat’s practice experience includes:
- Acting as chief spokesperson for first and subsequent collective agreement negotiations (federal and provincial sectors) in industries such as transportation, forestry, manufacturing, mining, film, and retail.
- Representing employers at the BC Labour Relations Board with respect to the appropriateness of the bargaining unit and management exclusions.
- Representing Provincial and Federal sector employers in labour relations matters including certifications, unfair labour practice complaints, decertifications, strikes, lockouts, and picketing.
- Acting for clients faced with labour disruptions including strike contingency planning, strike replacement challenges, and injunctions.
- Providing strategic and tactical advice to employers in the negotiation of employment contracts and the development and implementation of workplace policies on issues such as technology usage, drugs and alcohol, privacy and confidentiality.
- Advising employers on employee terminations and representing employers in wrongful dismissal actions.
- Advising employers on human rights matters including their obligations regarding the duty to accommodate employees and the investigation of human rights and workplace harassment complaints.
- Providing labour and employment advice on corporate transactions, reorganizations, downsizings, and closures.
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Labour, Employment, and Human Rights
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Privacy and Data Management
- Included in the 2020 Canadian Legal Expert® Directory: Employment (Employer), Labour (Management), Workplace Human Rights (Employer)
- Chambers Canada. Recognized in the Employment & Labour (British Columbia) and Employment & Labour (Nationwide – Canada) categories.
- Listed in Best LawyersTM in Canada in the fields of Labour and Employment Law including the 2021 Edition
- Chambers Global: recognized in the Employment & Labour (Canada) category since 2006.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory. Repeatedly recommended as a Leading Practitioner in Employment Law (employer), Labour Relations (management) and Workplace Human Rights (employer).
- Legal 500 Canada. Recommended in the editorial for Labour and Employment
- Who’s Who Legal Canada. Recognized for Labour, Employment & Benefits law.
- Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law. Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Labour and Employment
- Expert Guides. Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Labour and Employment.
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers: Recipient of the 2016 Roy Heenan/Dave Ross Volunteer of the Year Award.
- 2009 Lexpert Zenith Award: recognized as a leading woman lawyer for her outstanding contribution to the practice and business of law
- Dalhousie University (LL.B, 1976)
- Loyola College (B.A., 1972)
- South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Police Board, Member and Chair of the Human Resources Committee (2011 – Present)
- West Vancouver Police Board, Member and Chair of the Human Resources Committee (2002-2008)
- Vancouver Neurological Centre, Director (1980-1982)
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE) (member 2005 – present):
- Director 2010-2011
- Secretary Treasurer 2011-2012
- Vice-President 2012-2013
- President 2013-2014
- Director / Past-President 2014-2015
- Chair of Privacy Committee 2015-2016
- Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch) (Labour Law, Employment Law, Human Rights Law, Freedom of Information & Privacy Law Subsections), Member
- Inducted as Fellow (2016), US College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Lexpert Zenith Award Advisory Board (2010 – 2016)
- Management Rights Journal, Federated Press, Contributing Editor and Editor-in-Chief (2001-2007)
- Law Society of Northwest Territories (2000)
- Law Society of British Columbia (1977)
* M. Patricia Gallivan, Q.C. provides legal services through a law corporation.